Aviation & History Links
Here are some internet sites that you can check out for more information
about WWII and WWI aviation history. Most have links (some a whole lot of links)
and should give you a good start at finding answers to aviation history
questions. If you find any of these links are bad, please let me know.
Each link should open in a new browser window. Just close that window to return
to this page. Randy
E-mail me your link and
some info about it and I will
review it for addition to my links page. Sites that load poorly or are not related to general
WWI or WWII aviation history may not be included.
Email to Randy Wilson: firstname.lastname@example.org
Links last verified on
27 July, 2004
I need to find time to research and add newer links
Commemorative Air Force & American Airpower Heritage Museum Links
- Official American Airpower
Heritage Museum Site
- Take a virtual tour of the AAH Museum.
- Official Commemorative Air Force
- Check out the CAF's Ghost Squadron of flying WWII aircraft.
CAF Members Only
- You need to be a member to access this site.
CAF AIRSHO Site
- Info on the annual CAF AIRSHO at CAF HQ, Midland, Tx.
- High Sky Wing Official Site
- The web home of the High Sky Wing of the CAF in Midland, Texas. This
is my "home" Wing.
- CAF Blastards
- The West Texas Wing pyrotechnics group that along with
the CAF EOD group helps make the air shows more realistic when it comes to
bombs and other bangs.
- CAF SB2C
Helldiver Official Site
- Check out the schedule and other news about one of the
planes I've been flying these last few years. This is the last flying SB2C in
WWII in Color
Jeff Ethell's Books and
Color Images of WWII
- Jeff's collection of original WWII color slides is one of the largest I know of, at
least in private hands. Jeff was a good friend and I am fortunate to have permission to
use a number of his images to illustrate this web site. From this link, you can order
color prints and books, as well as learn a bit about Jeff.
World War II Color
- This is the new home for Jeff Ethell's collection of
color photos and images from World War Two. I'll have more information about
what's available on the site in the near future.
WW II Aviation Links - U.S.
Fighter Group"Yoxford Boys"
- WWII History of the Yoxford Boys, the 357th fighter group.
- 8th Air Force in World War II
- Info on 8th AF fighter, bomber and transport groups, reunions, etc. Also accepts
American Aces of WWII
- Info on both the pilots and their planes.
- In honor of those who defended the skies over
Guadalcanal in 1942.
Eight Air Force Historical
- A good place to start learning about the Eight AF,
with aircraft and bomb group info.
Group USAAF in WWII
- The official website of the Association of the
Fourth Fighter Group, Army Air Forces, World War II.
- Helicopter's History Site
- Evolution of rotary wing aircraft from the earliest days to the present.
- The Little Friends Home Page
- Info on 8th AF fighter group stations, markings, call signs, etc.
Mighty Eighth Air
- Includes a number of links to fighter and bomber
group web sites.
- The Official "Flying Tigers"
- Just what it says - official site for the American Volunteer Group.
Planes and Pilots of WW II
- An online magazine featuring veterans' own stories and articles.
- George Rarey's
World War II Air Force Cartoon Journals
- The sketchbook journals of Capt. George Rarey, a young commercial artist
drafted into the Army Air Force in World War II.
- United States Strategic Bombing
Survey - Pacific War
- The complete text of the 1 July, 1946 summary report.
Warbird Video Drive-In
- Watch World War II aircraft training films live over the
WW II Aviation Links - Allied Aircraft
- With lists of squadrons and pilots.
Finnish Air Force
- Data and stories about the Finnish Air Force.
Air Arm Archive, FAA, 1939-1945 Official web site
- Dealing with the Fleet Air Arm of the British Royal Navy and Naval
Aviation in the Commonwealth and around the World 1939-1945.
The Hawker Hurricane Site
- Photos and drawings of this famous fighter.
- The Royal Air Force RAF Museum official web site
contains pictures, photos and information on military aviation, including
all planes and aircraft in the Hendon & Cosford collections.
- Royal Air
Force Organisational History
- A history of the organizational structure of the RAF.
WW II Aviation Links - Axis Aircraft
- 12 O'Clock High! Luftwaffe Page
- Ruy Horta's site has a lot of Luftwaffe information plus numerous links.
Hugo Junkers History
- Hugo Junkers home page. Histories of the companies, aircraft
- Information about one of Germany's guided anti-aircraft weapons.
- Info on the Me 262 jet fighter/bomber and its pilots, plus photos and lots of details
about the new Me 262s being built in the Seattle, WA area.
Other Aviation History Links
- Aviation History Archives
- Info on WWI thru modern aircraft and engines, plus the Jesse Davidson Aviation History
- Chandelle: a
Journal of Aviation History
- A forum for original writing, photographs, and
artwork related, however loosely, to the less familiar aspects of the
history of aviation.
- Evergreen Aviation Museum
- Home of Howard Hughes' "Spruce Goose" flying boat.
- The aviation photography of Philip McKanna.
National Museum of Naval Aviation
- Official USN aviation museum.
- Igor I. Sikorsky Historical Archives
- Information about the man, his company, flying boats, other aircraft and helicopters.
- Plane Writing
- Quotes from vintage writing about flying, plus early pilots' biographies.
- Robert L. Scott Fan Club Assn.
- A site dedicated to the author of God Is My Co-Pilot.
Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
- NASM maintains the largest collection of
historic air and spacecraft in the world. It is also a vital center for
research into the history, science, and technology of aviation and space
- U.S. Air Force Historical
- Unit histories and many other special collections are available to the public.
- Over 300 aircraft and missiles on display. Open 9-5 daily. Free
admissions and parking. Located in Dayton Ohio.
WW II General History Links
- Frank Ambrose Photography
- Aerial and ground images of the later part of WWII, taken as a USAAF
photographer, mostly 15th AF in Italy.
World War II Links
- Links to World War Two U.S. Army Air Force Sites including squadrons,
groups, aircraft, aircraft phots, air battles, personal accounts and
War II Links on the Internet
- Links to battles, countries and much more related to
World War I Aviation Links
- The Aerodrome
- Aces and aircraft of World War I plus WWI links.
- Color images and videos of replica WWI aircraft.
- Over the Front
- Site for this WWI aviation periodical and The League of World War One Aviation
Historians. Some images and stories.
Interesting, Unusual or Just Plain Different History Links
- Bletchley Park
- Home of Great Britain's codebreakers in World War II. Check out The Colossus Rebuild